Even if you have solar on your roof, these energy saving tips will help you with your winter utility bill.
- Turn your Thermostat down: According to the U.S. Department of Energy, turning your thermostat down by 1 degree can cut your heating bill by 1 percent.
- Get a Smart Thermostat: A smart thermostat will automatically turn down the heat and go into eco mode when it detects that you and your family are away. This avoids the costly swings that often come with manual adjustments.
- Clean your air duct: This is one of the simplest energy-saving tips. A clogged air duct won’t let heat in or out.
- Change furnace filter: Clean or replace your furnace filters monthly during the cold season. A dirty filter disrupts the flow of heat, and in return will boost utility bills.
- Run the Ceiling Fan in Reverse: Flipping a switch on a ceiling fan turns the usual counterclockwise rotation, which produces a cool breeze, to a clockwise rotation that pushes warm air back into circulation.
- Seal Draft: Catch a draft? Seal it! Patch up problem spots such as windows, doors, and anything that allows air in. Some can be easily patched such as adding caulk or weather stripping. Doing this can save up to 30 percent on heating bills, according to the Energy Department.
If you’ve done all of the above and want to save even more money by going solar, give us a call.
Here are some articles you may find helpful: